The Abraham Lincoln Brigade
During the Spanish Civil War (1936-39), almost forty thousand men and women from fifty-two countries, including 2,800 Americans volunteered to travel to Spain and join the International Brigades to help fight fascism. The U.S. volunteers served in various units and came to be known collectively as the Abraham Lincoln Brigade.
|Help ALBA Inspire People Nationwide
|Stay Up To Date: Sign Up For ALBA's Mailing List
|Need Research Assistance? Want more information about a specific volunteer? Join the ALBA Listserv
Delmer Berg, the last known surviving veteran of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade, died peacefully at age 100 in his California home on Sunday, February 28. He will be greatly missed. To make a contribution in memory of Del Berg or any other volunteer of the Lincoln Brigade, click here. Read English press highlights here.
News & Updates
Thank you to everyone who gave on #NYGivesDay!
We raised $2,531 in 24 hours thanks to you!
Funds raised on that day will go to restore our national monument. You can find more information on the monument here.
Buy Now from ALBA's Bookstore!
2016 Teaching Institutes Schedule
- January 23 & 24, February 6, 2016: Three day institute in New York, NY; co-hosted by the King Juan Carlos I of Spain Center (NYU).
- March 4, 2016: Presentation, Social Studies Regional Conference, From Guernica to Nuremberg: Teaching Human Rights Themes in mid-20th-Century History in Aurora, IL.
- April 2, 2016: One day institute in Boston, MA; co-hosted by the Collaborative for Educational Services.
- April 23, 2016: One day institute for Spanish teachers in Seattle, WA; co-hosted by the University of Washington.
- September-December 2016: Theatrical program at Balboa H.S. in San Francisco, CA, focusing on the Spanish Civil War and the UN Declaration of Human Rights
- October 29, 2016: One day institute in Northampton, MA; co-hosted by the Collaborative for Educational Services.
- November 5, 2016: One day workshop workshop in Seattle, WA; co-hosted by the University of Washington.
- November 8, 2016: One day institute in New York, NY; co-hosted by the King Juan Carlos I of Spain Center (NYU).
- November, 9, 2016: One day institute in Bergen County, NJ.
For more information click here.